Thursday 17 September 2009

Uncle Michael

Last night, I got the opportunity to meet Brendan's Uncle Michael. He is such a sweet man. We met him near Kensington Gardens and took about an hour and a half walk through different parts of London to have dinner at the pub where Brendan works.

Of course me, being very inquisitive, asked him about a hundred questions along the way and throughout dinner. Luckily, he didn't seem to mind.

As I said before, he is a very kind man with a gentle nature. He and his wife just finished doing a walking tour around the England/Scotland border. Walking tours are their "thing". In fact, they met on one in Florence only a few years ago. He has done walking tours around the world, which I find fascinating.

Of all of the information I gathered about Uncle Michael,(I cannot just call him Michael because he is such a dear man that I wish he actually was my Uncle) the story of he and his wife of 3 years meeting is my favorite.

He described this encounter with a giant grin on his face. He said he saw his wife as the walking tour group was gathering for dinner on their first night together in Florence. He did not talk to her then though, but instead, approached her in the Florence countryside the next day. They were married 3 years ago. They are both in their 60s. They have a "late romance".

I love stories like this one. I would love to travel around the would and ask married couples to tell me the tale of how they met. You can learn so much about a relationship by the encounter two people had- and even more from how they regale you with the story. It's always a good sign when the narration of a love encounter is accompanied by a giant grin.



No comments:

Post a Comment